Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Labs Labs Labs

    If you've ever trained for something like a half-marathon, or a marathon you can relate to what I have experienced for the last 3 months. At the beginning, as with most things, you are full of energy and determination. You stick strictly to the protocols of when you run, how far you run, etc. You're like a machine. Then somewhere around the month and a half mark, you are running further than you've ever run before and you start to get bored. In my case not only because its tough to stick with the schedule, but also because you're doing it alone. 

     Now I wasn't completely A-L-O-N-E, I had Poppy, the wonder dog. Poppy isn't the greatest conversationalist. Don't get me wrong, I talk to her while we're running, but usually her answer is just a smiley, panting face, looking up at me for a few seconds. I'm not sure how wise it was, but I took Poppy on every single one of my training runs, including the longest, long-run, of 12 miles. She was a little sore that night, but not because of the 12 miles, more because these miles were completed at Umsted Park, which meant a lot of time off-leash. All in all, Poppy probably went more like 14 or 15 miles that day because she never ran a straight path. It looked more like this. . .





      I love my dog's joy!  But the night after our 12+ mile run, Poppy was sore for the first time. It broke my heart to see her limp after getting up from her bed, so the next day I did what any veterinarian would do, I wrote a prescription for Adequan. Over-reaction? Probably, but I knew it couldn't hurt. It was a stretching experience just giving my own dog an intramuscular injection, but being a lab, she was a good first patient. 
     
     A few days ago I took Poppy in for a bath at our local pet store.  Whenever I am leaving to visit home I like to make sure Poppy looks her best for the dog walker. As I was signing the necessary release forms the attendant asked me how old Poppy was. I told her that she was almost 8 years old. The attendants response, "Well since she's O-L-D you will need to initial here as well." OLD?! I was shocked. "Excuse me?" I replied. "Eight is not o-l-d. My dog just ran 12 miles with me. She is the picture of health and is nowhere near being old."

      I think that people are so used to seeing obese labradors, dogs that are old before their time, that they assume every labrador has a shortened life-span but that isn't the case. Labradors are highly active companions that need regular exercise but are so easy going and food loving, that they will be happy to sit with you on your couch and eat popcorn.  If your labrador has a few pounds to lose, make it a team effort. Get your dog in shape, make it a goal for keeping them healthy as long as you can and I bet you'll find you are healthier too.

     The half-marathon was a total success! I ran the whole thing, no need for breaks. I was able to stick closely to the pace I wanted, finishing with an average of 10:22. I would have liked it to be under 10:00, but that can be a goal for next time. Its a great sense of accomplishment and I'm blessed that my body was able to withstand the training. I don't know if I'll do a full marathon or not, for now, I'm basking in the joy of crossing one more physical goal off my Life's Goals List. 

     If you're interested in training for a half marathon, there are plenty of good free protocols out there on the web. I just googled it and found one that would work for my schedule. Good luck!

For fun, here's a little information about Labrador Retrievers:


Poppy in our back yard in Dixon, CA 2012

 The Labrador retriever was established in Newfoundland, where they helped fishermen pull in their nets and caught fish that were attempting a getaway. Through various cross-breedings the line was perfected to be a true retriever of game and thus is found in the "sporting group." Labs thrive as members of an active family or as hunting dogs. They are considered highly trainable with an even temperament. Bear in mind. . . they shed. . . a LOT. Based on the American Kennel Club rankings, for the last two years, Labs have been the #1 dog in America. For more information about this awesome breed of dog, visit the American Kennel Club Association website at www.akc.org.

If you would like more information about Adequan, you can visit their website at http://www.adequancanine.us/ or for horses www.adequan.com. This is a prescription medication that you must obtain from a licensed veterinarian. If you have a dog or horse that has discomfort from osteoarthritis pain, then I recommend asking your veterinarian about this medication. It never hurts to ask and your veterinarian will know best if this medication is right for your pet.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment